On Sunday, Jared Jaffee stirred the pot when he shared a photo on Twitter of Brock Wilson with what appears to be a preflop card or a solver opened on his phone during a live poker tournament.
Wilson was out of a hand at the time when he was caught looking at a solver on his phone. He didn’t break any rules in the poker room he played in – Wynn Las Vegas† Yet there were many who debated the use of a species real-time assistance (RTA) tools in live poker are acceptable, even just preflop charts.
He was not in a hand…
The use of RTAs have been a hot button topic in the past months after the Ali Imsirovic and Jake Schindler allegations of cheating. Real-time assistance tools can essentially turn a regular poker player into an unbeatable robot, although it should be noted that pre-flop charts can’t help players make post-flop decisions, and the photo Jaffee shared doesn’t prove Wilson has any form of RTA. is in one hand, which Jaffee acknowledged and admitted in one tweet.
Anyone else interested in implementing a rule that anyone doing this at the table gets 10 lashes?… https://t.co/g2VJkqSaEc
Jaffee’s tweet received mixed reactions, just like any controversial topic. Some thought Wilson wasn’t doing anything wrong, while others thought otherwise.
“All I see is a VERY HARD WORKER studying a hand history during dead time,” Adam Demersseman †@DemerssemanAdam) tweeted.
“As long as he doesn’t toss his phone or slam the table when he loses a big hand, this is absolutely fine,” Len Ashby joked, mock the Daniel Negreanu frustration phone slamming incident last week.
“I don’t see a problem with it unless it’s in hand,” @DrBoogerLips wrote.
@biggilfoot @jaredjaffee21 @BWilson9999 95% of the people masterbate, the other 5% no arms!
Not everyone sees it that way
Matt Savagethe World Poker Tours executive tour director, posted a question on Twitter regarding the live poker RTA issue. He sought the opinion of his followers.
“If someone does things like this, I think we have to be quick to kill their hand when cards are dealt,” Dan Smith responded.
“There are actually no rules about it now, but in my opinion it should become illegal to use a study tool at a live table outside of a hand,” Johan Guilbertalso known as YoH Viral, states.
Wilson defended his actions, accusing Jaffee of “bullying” him for being “nerdy.”
“Yeah, so when? Aaron Massey came up behind me and took a picture and sent it to your group chat, I’m sure it was like ‘Omg TDA problem here guys let’s post this to help the game!’ and here’s what you came up with: punishing geek behavior with a swirlie,” Wilson wrote sarcastically.
“I’ve also done a lot more for the game than you have… You’ve done zero… You come to the table like a robot… nobody likes to play with you… don’t bite anymore off than you can chew here” Jaffee responded to Wilson.
It’s so simple, why do you feel the need to look something up while you’re sitting at the table, when you can just do it another time… https://t.co/pKrf8WYyhq
“I mean, cash games are one thing, but tournaments, you have to drop the hammer hard. If the wizards can’t remember the spots, it’s hard,” @TheDeeezer argues.
“I think phones should not be used, which would create a better experience for all players around the world, so that they communicate instead of looking at the phone 3/4 of the time, it would also loosen up the game. Imo and people wouldn’t use preflop cards or PIO, monk,” @Pantaleoo writes.
“Throw out all phones if it can’t be enforced. Maybe a few extra short breaks to go and check your phone. Any phone seen at the table will kill your hand and or punish you,” @CrazyTrainJames tweeted.
The poker community disagrees on whether analyzing play between hands at the poker table is acceptable behavior. But most, at least those who don’t break the rules, seem to agree that using RTA during a hand, live or online, is cheating.