Emergency Financial Aid Available to Vets in Nueces County

The aid can be used for basic needs such as food, rent, utilities and transportation.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Veterans in Nueces County will soon be able to apply for emergency financial aid thanks to a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission.

The assistance will be available to eligible Nueces County veterans, their families and surviving spouses based on income guidelines.

Emergency assistance includes basic needs such as mortgage/rent, utilities (water, gas, electricity), food and transportation.

RELATED: Burn Pits 360 Hopeful After Senate Approves Toxic Veterans Exposure Package

The application process begins on July 1. Veterans may visit the Nueces County Department of Veterans Services at 602 N. Staples Suite 180 to apply.

Initial eligibility will be determined at the Veterans Services office. If the minimum eligibility requirements are met, veterans will be referred for final determination of eligibility.

The program is subsidized and subject to the availability of funds.

“The purpose of the Nueces County Veteran’s Assistance Program is to address the unmet financial emergency needs of Nueces County veterans, their families and the surviving spouses of veterans,” officials said in a news release. “It’s not a veteran-status rights program.”

Veterans and their families need the following to apply:

  • Copy of your DD214, showing an honorable discharge (not related to misconduct)
  • Valid photo ID, such as driver’s license, state-issued ID, or military ID
  • Social Security Card
  • Current mortgage statement, rental receipts or copy of rental agreement
  • Current utility bills
  • Voter Registration (to prove Nueces County residency)
  • Proof of income from the past 30 days for all household members, including but not limited to checks, letter from employer, Social Security, SSI and VA, unemployment or workers compensation, etc.
  • Evidence of job search for all employable household members (if unemployed)
  • If you are disabled and under doctor’s care, you must provide a current medical report.

RELATED: Organization dedicated to helping veterans in a special way

More from 3News on KIIITV.com:

Would you like to send us a news tip?

Enter your name and contact information below so we can contact you about your story if we have any questions or need more information. We realize that some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you wish to remain anonymous.

If you don’t have a photo/video to submit, just click “OK” to skip that prompt.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *