Which Home Depot Paint Sprayer Is Best?
When it comes time to paint the city red, you’ll need more than a bucket of paint and some rollers. You need a paint sprayer to get your job done quickly and easily. You can grab a small handheld sprayer for small tasks or a cart-mounted powerhouse for, well, homes. Either way, Home Depot has options.
The best Home Depot paint sprayer is the Graco Magnum ProX19 Cart Airless Paint Sprayer† The wheels make it a breeze to position where you need it and the adjustable pressure can meet any need.
What to Know Before Buying a Home Depot Paint Sprayer
Types of paint sprayers
There are three types spray paint†
- High volume, low pressure nozzles are used for small, detail-oriented jobs. Any tasks greater than painting some cabinets take too long with an HVLP sprayer. They also don’t have the strength to spray thick fabrics like undiluted latex paint. They tend to cost the least.
- Airless nozzles use high pressure to expel even the thickest fabrics. They also take the least time to complete the largest tasks. However, they are loud, can be difficult to control and tend to cost the most.
- compressed sprayers use air compressors to discharge the paint, the quality of the sprayer being mainly determined by the compressor. A compressor that is too big and you waste paint. Too small and the paint will not spray smoothly.
Hose and cord length
The length of the hose and cord will affect the ease of use of your paint sprayer. Aim for a nozzle with a little more length than necessary. This gives you some leeway without having to spend time dragging and rolling up excess material.
What should you look for in a high-quality Home Depot paint sprayer?
Tips of different sizes, spray patterns and compatibility with extensions are better suited to different tasks.
- Mate: Larger tips can spray thicker substances such as undiluted latex paint, while small tips can only handle varnishes or highly diluted paint. The best nozzles can use different tip sizes, while others can use only one.
- Cartridge: Patterns include width, orientation, and shape. Most patterns are 6-12 inches wide, horizontal or vertical, and flat or circular. Some tips have a fixed pattern, while others have adjustable ones.
- Extension: Some tips allow you to attach long tip extensions. These are mainly used when painting exterior walls and high ceilings.
The best paint sprayers have an adjustable pressure. This accomplishes two things. First, it helps extend the life of your tips by not putting them under constant high pressure. Second, certain forms of pressure can be better used for certain tasks. For example, low pressure is better for updating, while high pressure is better for applying a new main coat.
How Much You Can Expect to Spend on a Home Depot Paint Sprayer?
They can cost as little as $50 or as much as $500 plus. Non-compressed nozzles typically cost less than $50. Most nozzles cost $50-$250, but the most powerful nozzles can easily exceed $500 and approach $1,000 or more.
Home Depot Paint Sprayer Frequently Asked Questions
How loud can paint sprays be?
A. That depends on the sprinkler. HVLP sprayers are relatively quiet, enough not to require hearing protection. Most other sprinklers can reach dangerous decibel thresholds. The most powerful can be so loud that they shouldn’t be used indoors at all, even with precautions.
What Precautions Are Needed When Using a Paint Sprayer?
A. There are precautions for you and for those around you.
- you must always wear a paint mask and eye protection. More powerful nozzles also need hearing protection.
- Surroundings you do not want to paint must be covered to protect against splashes and other accidents. You should also wear clothes that you don’t mind getting stained.
What’s the Best Home Depot Paint Sprayer to Buy?
Top Home Depot Paint Sprayer
What you need to know: This has the power and adjustable pressure to tackle the biggest tasks.
What you will like: An InstaClean pump filter traps dirt in the paint before it can reach the tip, reducing clogs. The ProX piston pump allows you to spray undiluted paint and the suction tube allows you to spray directly from a 1 or 5 gallon paint bucket.
What to think about: It is one of the most expensive jets. A few consumers had some mounting problems. Others received sprayers with damaged parts or missing user manuals.
Top Home Depot Paint Sprayer for the Money
What you need to know: This is a great inexpensive option for smaller household tasks.
What you will like: It has a pressure control knob and horizontal, vertical and circular spray patterns. The base has a handle for easy transport and connects to the sprayer with a 20 foot hose. A two-stage turbine sprays latex paint, stain and varnish.
What to think about: Paint must be thinned to use it. A few customers had problems with splashes. Others had problems with uneven sprays.
What you need to know: It is a smaller but no less powerful airless sprayer for those looking for high performance at a good price.
What you will like: The pressure is adjustable and it can spray undiluted paint straight from a 1 or 5 gallon paint bucket. It weighs 20 pounds and has a handle for fairly easy carrying. It can be connected to a garden hose so that excess paint can be quickly washed away.
What to think about: Some buyers had problems with clogging. Others reported that the sprayer chewed through paint – you may need more paint than you expect.
Do you want to buy the best products for the best prices? Checking out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign Up here to receive BestReviews’ weekly newsletter for helpful advice on new products and notable offers.
Jordan Woika writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.