What to expect after applying for FEMA Disaster Relief | national

Helena, Mont.– If you are a resident of Park, Carbon, or Stillwater counties and have suffered property damage or loss as a result of the severe storms and flooding of June, you may be eligible to apply to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). serve for disaster relief with temporary housing costs, home repairs, or other essential disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.

Residents in designated counties can apply online at: disaster relief.govby calling 800-621-3362, or by calling the FEMA mobile app† If you’re using a relay service, such as video relay (VRS), a closed-caption phone, or another service, give FEMA the number for that service.

Here’s what to expect after you request help.

If you report during the application process that your home not liveable, hygienic and safeFEMA may need to conduct an inspection of the damaged property.

  • Habitable homes meet the following conditions:
    • The exterior is structurally sound, including the doors, roof and windows.
    • The electricity, gas, heat, plumbing and sewage and septic systems are working properly.
    • The interior spaces are structurally sound, including ceiling and floors.
    • The house is suitable for its intended purpose.

FEMA inspectors will contact you with the information you provide to meet at the address where the damage was reported. The inspector’s phone number may be out of state, or appear on your caller ID as unavailable, so be sure to pick up the phone. If the call goes to voicemail, the inspector will leave a callback number, or you will receive a text message if no other contact can be established.

Due to COVID-19, the inspector is following current CDC guidelines. You must show the inspector your photo ID. You will NOT currently be asked to provide your social security number or bank account information. There is also no cost associated with a FEMA inspection.

All FEMA inspectors can be identified by their official federal photo ID badge. If in doubt when you receive a call or inspection visit from someone claiming to be FEMA personnel, do not provide any information, but call 800-621-3362 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. ET to verify the call or visit is lawful.

After your home inspection, a report of the damage will be given to FEMA and will determine your eligibility for assistance. If you qualify for assistance, the money will be spent via direct deposit and a letter will be sent explaining the type of assistance you qualify for.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *